Starring in a Netflix show is a dream for many aspiring actors and performers, but how do you get there and what steps do you need to take?
Before I tell you how to get there, there’s something you should know:
Firstly, I am not going to sugar-coat it, if you want to be on Netflix, there is no straight forward step by step process of how to get there.
Additionally, the actors that are fortunate enough to land a role in a Netflix project are at the top of their game, they have worked for years in the industry (even child actors), to work their way up. They have spent hours practicing their craft, spent thousands of pounds on acting lessons, years of gaining essential connections within the industry, they have gone through blood, sweat, tears and sacrifice to get where they are today. While it is not impossible to get your first acting gig on Netflix, the chances are incredibly slim.
A lot of this industry is being the right person, in the right room, in front of the right people, at the right time, which means you can be the most talented actor and still not be getting cast.
However, if you are passionate, disciplined, professional, an incredibly hard worker and someone who loves this career and is resilient enough to keep at it, then I have no doubt you will get there and all the hard work you have put in will have been worth it. So if you are wanting to pursue it, where do you start?
What you can do, tips & tricks:
Here are some tips that can help you increase your chances of appearing on a Netflix original production:
- Build your resume: Building a strong acting resume is crucial for getting noticed by casting directors and producers. This includes taking acting classes, participating in local theater productions, taking part in student films and building up a portfolio of your work.
- Create an online presence: Having an active social media presence can help you connect with casting directors and producers who are always on the lookout for new talent. Make sure to showcase your skills and personality on platforms like Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
- Network: Attend industry events and networking opportunities to make connections and build relationships with casting directors and producers.
- Stay up-to-date with auditions: Keep an eye on audition notices and casting calls, and be ready to apply when opportunities arise. To do this you can use casting directories, follow casting directors on social media, follow accounts that share casting calls like my account @bethanyunwin on tiktok
- Prepare: Make sure to prepare thoroughly for auditions, by researching the role, practicing your lines, and working on your character development. If you have got a big audition coming up, if you have the time and the financial ability, this may be a good time to invest in a 1-2-1 session with an acting coach to work on audition material.
- Be persistent: Getting on a Netflix show is a competitive process, and you may not succeed on your first try. Keep working on your craft and continue to apply for auditions, and eventually, you will get your break, it may take days, weeks, months, years or even decades, but nothing worth having comes easy, eh?
Remember, getting on a Netflix show takes time, dedication, and perseverance. If you want it enough, keep going till you get it! You never know how far away you are, so keep working hard, stay true to yourself, follow your dream and give it all you got!
Wishing you every success!