This evening, Friday the 18th of June, Andrew Lloyd Webber has made a statement.
Covid restrictions were due to lift on June 21st. Therefore meaning theatres could reopen with full capacity and all shows could return to normality. However, with the restrictions being pushed back another four weeks, Andrew Lloyd Webber took action. Andrew Lloyd Webber previously mentioned working with the government, to come to an agreement about the reopening of theatres; without the delay causing further implications. He said he would ‘be arrested’ before letting the industry take another hit. With sporting events allowed to go ahead, people flying world wide and restaurants serving indoors, Andrew thought a negotiation for the arts sector was in order.
Andrew Lloyd Webber has now put out a statement. The statement explains, the government will not support theatres reopening at full capacity at this time. The government were happy to introduce a pilot scheme for Andrew’s new musical Cinderella. Andrew said, ‘I made it crystal clear that I would only be able to participate if others were involved’. Therefore, Cinderella will not take part in a pilot scheme. The venue will reopen as set on the 25th of June but at only 50% capacity.
In the statement Andrew also said:
‘I could not look at my young cast and crew in the eyes to tell them we were delaying or closing down. So, I have made the decision to personally bear the losses until we fully open’.
If you have a ticket, you will hear from the production very soon in regard to what will happen moving forward with reduced capacity.
To finish the statement, Andrew said a thank you for all the support at this time and to those who offered to bring him cake in jail.
Cinderella will go to the ball, it won’t be as full as they had hoped, however fingers crossed soon enough everyone can be invited.